According to Latest Market insights the RAN innovation for Telecom Lags behind others initiative by 7years which means call for more innovative and Disruptive delivery models for the Site solutions specially for next Wave of 5G Solutions .
However to reach the goal of fully distribute and Open RAN there needs to build a pragmatic view of brown fields and finding the Sweet Spot for its introduction and wide adoption .
Here are my latest thoughts on this and how Telecom Operators should adopt it . There is a still a time for industry wide adoption of Open RAN but as yo will find time to act is now .
What you will
What you will learn
Building Delivery Models for Open RAN in a brownfield
Understand what,when and how of Open RAN
What is Open RAN and its relation with 5G
Current Industry solutions
Define phases of Open RAN delivery
Present and Next Steps 5. Architecture and State of Play
According to latest reports from leading Trasnport Infrastructure vendors Ericsson and NEC . it is very vital to build Next Era Transport for 5G that can serve for MPLS and SRV6 end to end . When we think of future business cases like End to End Network Slicing it will become for important .
Transport for Open/C-RAN
As 5G will deploy in different scnerios and Cloud will be long term most lucrative one so transport must align with it by offering Packet and Ethernet based transport end to end from device to core preferably using e-cpri models that has significant low latency
Outdoor Dense Urban solutions
In Outdoor in city centers laying NG Fiber may not be feasible solution so offering connectivity using PON and MW is needed that is why it is important to not just lock with Fiber solutions
Automation of Transport
Just like others domains like RAN , Core , Edge the transport also need to be Orchestrated and must be optimized over time using ML and AI . the key for this is build a transport that can automate using T-SDN like ACTL workflows or Open ROADM and that can help collect all data that can be optimized with AI .Cool stuff
Future DC architectures
Transport should be flexible not only to offer transport based on 3GPP service model but based on DC architectures like solutions for Clos architecture , DIs-aggregated scnerios etc
Just like with other solutions in 5G the transport should be distributed like support for Hub /Be-spoke rather than full mesh for both reliability , performance and scale .
Security nevertheless is of paramount importance specially as we will open transport for 3rd party and whole sale connectivity although this domain is well addressed in Orchestration and End to End Slicing however as famous adage we must be leave the software boundary un attended .
“Protecting a software with another software in a cloud is not scalable.”
Cisco Latest report quantifies in 2019 1272 breaches that exposed 163M customer records . In a 5G and Cloud connected world to adress security concerns 5G Security SA5 and community defined some key principles that we must adhere to build dis-aggregated Networks .
1. Use of SUCI (Subscription concealed Identifier) to ensure even during first Latch the subscriber ID is not sent as plain test
2. 5G Auth and Key Agreement uses private/public key something very familiar to Cloud hyperscalers to grant resource access
3. Before device join network the Core will validate device then the device authentication start (This architecture make use of AMF ,UDM and AUSF and SEAF)
4. Use of Network Slicing in NPN and Public NW to ensure only users can reach his service slice only
5. To solve issues that limit operators use of encryption on Iu interface is addressed in 5G with the use of Data validation to ensure even protected streams can have integrity check
6. The New SecGW (Security end point GW) to tunnel the Radio GnB traffic directly at access/metro
7. API and Digest level protection for MEC and Developer system combined with security DDoS ,Malware protection
8. IdM and HSM for Infra security
For details refer to latest info graphics from Samsung